When, Where, And Why Injuries Occur
Nobody enjoys a visit to the emergency room. Nevertheless, we all expose ourselves to common hazards on a daily basis. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recently listed the most dangerous things every person should keep an eye out for. Some items are particularly dangerous for children. If you experience harm due to a defective product or poorly maintained areas, a local personal injury attorney may be able to help. Some common safety issues include:
- Stairs: Whether just a few stairs or an entire flight of stairs, this is one of the places injuries most frequently occur. Well over one million people are hurt in stairway accidents every year, sometimes because of poorly maintained flooring, railings, or lighting.
- Rugs and carpets: When runners are not secured or rugs slide, mishaps may occur. In fact, nearly a million such injuries occur yearly.
- Bikes, trikes and unicycles: The number of cycling accidents tops 600,000 annually, a testament to the fact that wearing protective safety gear is a smart idea.
- Falling furniture: Nearly 600,000 people suffer injuries due to calamities involving dressers, bureaus and the like crushing them.
- Knives: Both kitchen knives and pocket knives are involved in over 425,000 injuries every year.
- Bunk beds: Over 400,000 individuals suffer injuries related to bunk beds every year.
- Tools: Tools like screwdrivers and hammers are connected to nearly 250,000 accidents annually.
- Tubs and showers: Slipping in the bathroom results in well over 225,000 injuries each year.
- Playground equipment: Over 200,000 children visit emergency rooms each year as a result of accidents on playground equipment.
- Power tools: Electric tools like saws, nail guns, and wood chippers are involved in over 190,000 injuries every year, many of them serious.
- Hot tubs and swimming pools: Hypothermia and drowning accidents affect over 150,000 people in this country annually.
- Chemicals: Any number of chemicals has health impacts on consumers. The most common culprits are cleaning products, paints, and fertilizers, impacting 152,000 people annually.
- Stools and ladders: Falls injure over 130,000 individuals each year.
- ATVs: Over 120,000 people are hurt in ATV accidents per annum.
- Balconies and porches: Falls from porches and collapsing balconies result in nearly 121,000 injuries every year.
- Skateboards: More than 100,000 skateboarding accidents occur every year in this country.
- Trampolines: Upwards of 100,000 people experience broken bones, twisted ankles, and all kinds of injuries related to trampoline use every year.
- Drop-side cribs: Although banned since 2011, many of these older cribs are still around and pose a danger to small children.
- Magnets: Kids put things in their mouths, and if that thing is a magnet, it can wreak havoc on intestines.
- Tube televisions: When not properly mounted, they can crush young children.
Following an Accident
At the Law Offices of Robert W. Elton, our team hopes you never experience a serious injury that requires hospitalization. However, if you do, we are here to protect your rights and work for justice on your behalf. Contact us in Daytona & Ormond Beach for a consultation today.