When Gun Violence Impacts You
Guns: in the hands of a careless, deranged, or evil individual, they can cause irreparable damage to families and communities. The latest school shooting in Parkland is but one horrific example of the destruction and misery that can result from gun violence. If you have lost a loved one or been the victim of gun violence, a local personal injury attorney may be able to help you explore legal options going forward.
2018 School Shootings
Shootings that take place in schools are becoming distressingly commonplace, with a number on record so far this year:
- A football player was fatally shot while attending a party on the Wake Forest University campus in North Carolina;
- A teen was wounded in Texas when a classmate shot him in the high school cafeteria;
- 16 individuals were shot and three were killed in Los Angeles after a classmate went on a shooting spree in the lobby of the high school;
- A 12-year-old girl injured two classmates when she shot them in their California classroom;
- A Nashville student was shot multiple times in the high school parking lot;
- The high school parking lot was the scene of a shooting in Oxon Hill, Maryland;
- A fight in the parking lot of a Philadelphia high school parking lot killed a 32-year-old man;
- 17 individuals were killed and 50 injured on Valentine’s Day this year when a troubled former student stormed a Parkland high school.
Not every incident of gun violence is premeditated or intentional. Plenty of accidental shootings are a result of negligence, and have equally devastating results:
- A 5-year-old Florida boy found a gun in the glove box of his father’s car and fatally shot himself in the head;
- A Sarasota man accidentally shot his own son at a gun range;
- A Wisconsin toddler found a gun on the seat of his mother’s boyfriend’s car and fatally shot his mother;
- A New York woman was shot and killed while walking her dogs near her home when a hunter mistook her for a deer.
The numbers tell a frightening story:
- In 2015, the U.S. experienced 372 mass shootings, which resulted in nearly 2,000 injuries and 475 fatalities;
- In that same year, there were 65 school shootings across the country;
- Nearly 27,000 individuals experienced injuries by guns in this country in 2015.
After a Gun Incident
At the Law Offices of Robert W. Elton, we hope and pray that you and your loved ones are never subjected to the horror of gun violence. We understand that regardless of the circumstances, the grief associated with such an event is unparalleled. In the event you find yourself reeling in the aftermath of a shooting occurrence, allow our compassionate and experienced team to assist with the legalities. You may be entitled to damages related to expenses and lost past or future earnings. Contact us for a free, confidential consultation.