Serious Injuries Following A Collision
Florida emergency rooms handled almost nine million patients in 2016, at a cost of nearly $50 billion. One common reason people wind up in emergency rooms is vehicular accidents. And it’s no wonder: the range of serious injuries associated with car accidents is mind-boggling. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries or loss of life due to the negligence of another driver, you could benefit from the services of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Injuries from Vehicle Collisions
Because a car crash can come from any direction, speed or velocity, the human body is vulnerable in numerous ways:
- Brain injuries are all too common for both passengers and drivers when the head is forcefully smashed against a hard surface such as a windshield or dashboard. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can lead to a litany of problems, including cognitive and memory disabilities, sensory processing disorders, communication issues, personality changes, and mental health problems.
- Neck injuries such as whiplash and neck strain, and even disc injuries and cervical dislocations, may occur due to the rapid back and forth movement of the head in certain types of collisions.
- Back injuries, most commonly affecting the lower back, may include simple sprains and strains, or more serious issues such as herniated discs and fractures of the vertebrae. Serious discomfort may evolve into immobilizing pain that requires long-term medical interventions.
- When disc material or bone fragments tear or bruise spinal cord tissue, the result is a spinal cord injury. This can lead to sensory loss and paralysis, including difficulty with breathing, loss of bladder or bowel control, and severe nerve pain.
- Injuries to the face may be incurred due to contact with the steering wheel, dashboard, air bags, windshield, car seats, or side windows. Additionally, shattered glass may cause injuries. Although some incidents result in mere cuts and bruises, nose and cheek fractures and severe problems with the jaw and teeth may occur, as well.
- Internal injuries may be the result of severe impact, causing complications with the kidneys, spleen, bowels, lungs, heart or liver. If the ribs are fractured, they may puncture the lungs. These life-threatening injuries may be obvious immediately, or may not reveal themselves for days. Immediate treatment is essential for the best outcomes.
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and other psychological disorders are not uncommon following accidents involving serious injuries or fatalities. Treatment for anxiety and depression may be required for an extended period of time.
- Knee and leg injuries, as well as crushing injuries to the toes and ankles, are not uncommon in vehicular accidents. The knee, in particular, is susceptible to dislocation and tears.
Recourse Following an Accident
If you are fighting to recover from a serious accident, or are caring for someone in recovery, you are no doubt reeling from the overwhelming medical problems, not to mention the financial crisis you are now facing. At the Law Offices of Robert W. Elton, our compassionate, yet aggressive team will fight to get you the remuneration you deserve after a careless driver alters your life. Contact us today in Daytona & Ormond Beach for a free, confidential consultation.