Personal Injury As A Result Of Sexual Harassment & Assault
Accounts of sexual harassment have been flooding the news of late. It started with Bill Cosby’s case, where five decades and dozens of accusations destroyed the actor’s reputation, despite a jury being unable to convict. From there, the roll-out of well-known individuals who have been accused of both harassment and assault is astonishing.
Although these incidents are highly publicized, we know that harassment and assault occur in the lives of ordinary people every day. Survivors often feel they are all alone, but the law is on your side. If you have endured such experiences and now are dealing with long-term effects, a good personal injury attorney may be able to help.
Victims of sexual harassment and assault often suffer severe adverse effects for years during and after the events occur. In addition to anger and sadness, survivors may progress through a number of emotional challenges. Psychological and physical impacts can be debilitating:
- Shame: Survivors often believe they are soiled and unlovable;
- Guilt: Particularly when the abuser was close to the victim, victims may feel guilty about not getting out of the situation sooner;
- Denial: Victims who cannot face what happened to them minimize the experience;
- Boundaries: Many individuals are unclear about appropriate boundaries in future relationships, and have difficulty asserting their rights with other authority figures;
- Trust: Survivors either completely lack trust in others, or place inappropriate levels of trust in people who may not deserve it;
- Isolation: Adults who experience sexual assault fear judgment and criticism, often resorting to self-imposed isolation;
- Amnesia: Some survivors may block memories, especially if they happened early in life;
- Physical impacts can include a number of symptoms, including:
- Eating disorders;
- Difficulty with concentration;
- Sleep issues;
- Panic attacks;
- Localized pain;
There is no reason that a survivor of sexual harassment or any other type of assault should be forced to face this alone, without the help of a professional advocate. To be sure, a legal professional is available to act as both a guide and a support system throughout the process, ensuring you are able to receive the assistance you need as well as the compensation you deserve to move forward with your life.
If you are experiencing serious injuries following sexual harassment or assault, you may be entitled to damages to address physical and psychological issues, lost wages, and other considerations. At the Law Offices of Robert W. Elton, we care about you. Contact us today in Daytona & Ormond Beach to discuss your situation. The initial consultation is no cost, and always confidential. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us as soon as possible for professional assistance.