Close Menu

Is a Homeowner Responsible If I’m Injured at a Barbeque or Summer Pool Party?

Summer is a great time to get out and enjoy the wonderful weather with your friends, family and neighbors. But you might have questions about what happens if you sustain an injury on someone else’s property.

This can make for an awkward situation at best, speaking to the homeowner, and a devastating situation at worst if you sustain a serious injury that impacts your ability to return to work.

A Florida premises liability claim may be the only way to recover compensation after an accident like this.

A barbecue is a great summer event, but not if anyone ends up injured. A number of news stories have reported about the most common summer grilling injuries, for example, but these are just one kind of injury that could happen on someone else’s property.

Slip, trip, and falls are one of the leading sources of injuries on another person’s property, and if the cause of the accident was a hazardous condition for which the homeowner is responsible, you may have grounds for a Florida premises liability claim.

Landlord’s Policies and Injuries on the Property

Typically, a landlord’s insurance policy will provide for three different types of coverage for injuries sustained by individuals invited to visit the home. This includes:

  • Liability coverage
  • Medical payments
  • Structural and personal property

Individuals who do have a swimming pool on their property and those with higher numbers of visitors coming to their house on a regular basis may pay more for this premium protection.

The liability portion of a homeowner’s insurance plight does not automatically pay individuals who sue you. Instead, the injured individual has a responsibility to prove that the homeowner was negligent.

If the injured person can prove that the homeowner was negligent in a premises liability case, then the insurance company may have to pay the injured person.

What Homeowners Should Know When Hosting a Party

Whether it’s a backyard barbeque, a child’s birthday party or a summer outdoor event, there are numerous reasons to throw a celebration but there are also many ways that landlords can be exposed to risks if someone is injured during the event.

One of the most common ways that individuals become injured is when alcohol is introduced into the mix. It can significantly complicate things for homeowners.

For example, if an intoxicated guest hurts himself or herself or another person on the property, a homeowner’s liability could be present whether or not the incident happened on your property or not.

In order to protect yourself and minimize the risks of serious accidents, homeowners should take a couple of critical steps.

  • Call a cab or drive an intoxicated guest home yourself.
  • Never allow minors to drink, even if it’s your own children on your property while a party is being hosted.
  • Keep an eye on guests who may be drinking too much and maybe cut them off when necessary.

Furthermore, homeowners should be aware that any conditions on their property that could be potentially hazardous should either be addressed or have some sort of notification affixed to them so that guests are aware of the potential hazard.

You are responsible for the safety of guests when it comes to hazardous conditions on your property.

This is particularly true if you are aware of a certain hazard on your property and the danger is not immediately apparent to guests but you choose to do nothing to fix the problem.

Here are a couple of tips to ensure the least possible chance of an accident during a party related to the condition of your property:

  • Make sure that an adult is supervising anyone near the pool area or fence off the pool area and lock it during the party.
  • Take any dangerous items off your property completely. Old appliances, toys or vehicles could be dangerous.
  • Check for rotten deck boards or broken steps and fix them or rope the area off.

Can a Tenant Sue a Landlord for Injury? Call Premises Liability Attorney in Florida

If you have been hurt on someone else’s property because of a dangerous condition that the property owner did or should have known about, you may be able to move forward with a premises liability case by choosing to work with a slip and fall attorney or premises liability attorney in Florida.

Do not hesitate to reach out to get legal advice about this kind of case as soon as possible by reaching out to a Florida premises liability claim attorney.

Want to learn more about what other causes of personal injury accidents are most common, aside from slip and fall claims? Read this blog: /the-most-common-personal-injury-cases/

Injured? Call 386-597-1120

Related Posts:

  1. Injured at My Office Party: Can I Sue?
  2. 10 Ways to Stay Safe This Summer
  3. What Questions Should You Ask Your Premises Liability Attorney?
  4. What is Premises Liability?

Post navigation

Previous post: Can I Sue a Zoo for Personal Injuries?
Next post: What You Need to Know About Back over Accidents